With busy homes filled with family, it can be tough for your home to be your safe haven, blocking out the world’s noise and stresses so you can relax, unwind and re-center. Sometimes you need to carve out a calm haven inside your haven so you can really unwind. That’s where these tips, from decluttering to installing motorized shutters, come in.
All it takes for you to create a calm space in your home is a little time, a few tools, and some inspiration. Create a calm space in your home that can help you destress with these ideas and tips:
- Choose a Space – The first step is to choose the right space in your home. Pick a room or corner that is quiet and out of the way so you can have the relaxation you need. A basement room, den at the back of the house, or spare bedroom would all be ideal.
- Add Greenery – Plants are proven to help reduce stress as they impact three of our senses: smell, vision, and touch. While real plants are best, you can always opt for fake plants if you don’t have a green thumb. If you do go with real plants, make sure you have the right kind of motorized shutters to let sunshine in.
- Declutter – Few things are more stressful than clutter as distractions prevent total relaxation. Try and limit the space to one or two pieces of art on the walls. You can even choose one big, serene piece. This applies to furniture as well. Take out any excess chairs or pieces so you’re left with one comfy chair or pouf, a lamp, and maybe a side table. You can take it even further and only have a nice fluffy pillow to recline on.
- Get the Good Light – Soft lighting is the ultimate soother. While candles and lamps can help, the best way to get the light right is to regulate the natural light. Motorized shutters can go a long way towards accomplishing this goal as they make it easy for you to customize the amount of light in a room. If you want to let the sunshine in during the morning you can open the motorized shutters, but if you want to block out harsh midday light you can close them.
- Take Out the Technology – It’s also a good idea to remove technology and screens from the room, including TVs and cell phones. Screens and distracting and stressful, so keep them out of your space. You can have a small speaker if you want to listen to music or a meditation podcast.
- Wipe Away Noise – Outside noises like lawn mowers, passing cars and neighbors can be distracting. Installing the right kind of window treatment, like motorized shutters, can really help reduce outside noise pollution.
These are just a few ways you can turn any room in your home into a calming space. Want more ideas or information on motorized shutters? We are here for you. Call or visit us today!